Montgomery Book Bench Project
- Start Date:03/18/2019 7:00 AM
- Close Date:05/17/2019
Call for Proposals
The City of Montgomery Public Art Commission in collaboration with the Montgomery Public Libraries, Montgomery City Council, and the Montgomery County Commission seeks artists (or artist teams) to design and paint twelve benches. The Commission is inviting artists from different areas of the City of Montgomery and Montgomery County to paint and embellish fiberglass benches (Book Benches) in the shape of open books, drawing on themes and inspiration for their designs from a pre-chosen list of beloved children and young adult books. Book Benches will be placed throughout the City and County of Montgomery for permanent use at local libraries, community centers, and elementary schools. This project intends to encourage reading, provide a place for people to rest, and to instill in the community an understanding and appreciation of public art.
The artists chosen for this project will serve as independent contractors of the City of Montgomery through the Public Art Commission.
The City of Montgomery Public Art Commission shall retain ownership of the bench and the design, including, but not limited to, reproduction rights, physical maintenance, and lifespan. In all uses of the bench, the creative product will be credited to the artist.
All terms and conditions will be laid out in a contract to be signed by the artist upon selection of the artist.
- To commission artists (or artist teams) to design and paint twelve benches; and
- To enhance Montgomery with an immersive art experience that can be enjoyed from many areas of the city and county.
- RFP Published: March 18, 2019
- RFP Addendum: April 15, 2019 (if needed)
- Deadline for Submissions: May 17, 2019, 4:00 p.m. (CDT)
- Notification of Finalist(s): On or before May 31st, 2019
- Pick up benches: June 24th- June 28th, 2019
- Drop off completed benches: July 8th – July 12th, 2019
For the full RFP and additional information, please use the links below:
To submit your proposal, please email all documents to Adena Kramer. If the proposal is too large to email, please call 334-625-3730 to arrange an alternative submission method.