POLICE OFFICER - SALARY: $37,509 to $45,573
General Requirements for Police Officer
An applicant must be 19 years of age to apply. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen with no felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions involving violence or moral turpitude. Applicants must possess a valid Alabama driver's license or be able to obtain one if license is issued by another state. Applicants must possess a diploma from an accredited high school or a GED. Applicants must reside within a one-hour response time to police headquarters upon graduation of the academy. Applicants must meet State of Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission requirements and Montgomery Police Department requirements.
Lateral transfer entry-level program for Alabama and out-of-state POSTC-certified officers or a 10-point APOSTC certification for military police officers and federal police officers.
$37,509 to $45,573 annually; ($36,349 during academy training).
- Vacation: 13 days per year; number of days per year increases with longevity.
- Sick: 13 days per year.
- Holidays: 11 holidays annually, or more at the discretion of the Mayor
- High deductible health plan with a health reimbursement account funded by the City with reasonable premiums.
- Life insurance is provided in the approximate amount of annual salary.
- A retirement of 62.5% after 25 years at age 62 at at least 10 years of creditable service, whichever occurs first. Early commencement between ages 55 and 62 is an option with a reduction in monthly payment.
All uniforms and accessories, including leather, regulation service weapon and bulletproof vest are furnished by the department. After the initial issue officers are allowed to order new uniforms on an as-needed basis.
Upon graduation from the Academy, the recruits will be assigned to the Patrol Division to work with a training officer for the duration of the recruit's year-long probationary period. After the officer's initial assignment of two years, the officer may apply for a transfer to any division by written request.
College Incentive Program
For details pertaining to the College Incentive Program, please click here
Applications are accepted Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and should be mailed to the City-County Personnel Office, 27 Madison Ave, P.O. Box 1111, Montgomery, Al 36101-1111.
You may also apply online at any time at the City-County Personnel Website:
Recruiting Bureau Commander
Sgt. N.M. Williams - 334-625-2519
Cpl. L.C. Thomas - 625-2746
J. De'andrea - 625-3621
QUESTIONS? Call today at 1-800-230-8937 or at (334) 625-2619, or contact via the above email addresses.