Apply Today to take your first step towards an exciting and rewarding career with one of the best Fire Departments in the country!
What are the minimum qualifications in becoming a Montgomery Fire/Rescue firefighter?
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, a U.S. Citizen with no felony convictions involving violence or moral turpitude, possess a diploma from an accredited high school or a GED, and a valid driver's license.
What are the physical requirements?
Must meet the requirements of a physical exam, must adhere by the fire department's policies to include: weight, nicotine, drug, etc.
What are the residency requirements?
Must reside within a 35 linear mile radius or comply within 90 days after they are certified as permanent employees.
What are the steps in the hiring process?
- 1 - Written Exam
- 2 - Candidate Physical Agility Test
- 3 - Background Investigation
- 4 - Polygraph Exam
- 5 - Drug Screening
- 6 - Orientation
Are pay incentives offered?
- $6000 per year for licensed paramedics assigned to an Advanced Life Support Unit
- $3000 per year for licensed paramedics not assigned to an Advanced Life Support Unit
- $2600 per year for Special Operations Team personnel to include: Dive, Haz-Mat and Heavy Rescue Teams
- $2600 per year for members assigned to the Division of Training, Technical Maintenance, Inspections, or Investigations Bureau.
- Educational incentives for bachelor/master degrees from accredited colleges or universities **Reimbursement of college tuition in job related fields if tuition is paid after employment.
What benefits are included?
Hospitalization, including dental and Preferred Medical Doctor (PMD), are provided by the City of Montgomery at a nominal charge for both individual and family coverage
Earn 10 holidays annually along with vacation and sick time. Vacation time accrual rate increases with longevity.
Employee will be entitled to a service retirement after 25 years of creditable service or a partial service retirement at age 55 with at least 10 years of creditable service. Opportunity to take advantage of the Employee Retention Incentive Program. Early commencement between age 55 and age 62 is an option with a reduction in monthly payment
CareHere medical clinic visits with no deductible or co-pay. Free Medications or Prescriptions provided at CareHere Clinics
Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Life Insurance up to $50,000