Apply Today to take your first step towards an exciting and rewarding career with one of the best Fire Departments in the country!
What are the minimum qualifications in becoming a Montgomery Fire/Rescue firefighter?
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, a U.S. Citizen with no felony convictions involving violence or moral turpitude, possess a diploma from an accredited high school or a GED, and a valid driver's license.
What are the physical requirements?
Must meet the requirements of a physical exam, must adhere by the fire department's policies to include: weight, nicotine, drug, etc.
What are the residency requirements?
Must reside within a 35 linear mile radius or comply within 90 days after they are certified as permanent employees.
What are the steps in the hiring process?
- 1 - Written Exam
- 2 - Candidate Physical Agility Test
- 3 - Background Investigation
- 4 - Physical Examination
- 5 - Polygraph Examination
- 6 - Psychological Examination
- 7 - Drug Screening
- 8 - Orientation
Are pay incentives offered?
- $6000 per year for licensed paramedics assigned to an Advanced Life Support Unit
- $3000 per year for licensed paramedics not assigned to an Advanced Life Support Unit
- $2600 per year for Special Operations Team personnel to include: Dive, Haz-Mat and Heavy Rescue Teams
- $2600 per year for members assigned to the Division of Training, Technical Maintenance, Inspections, or Investigations Bureau.
- Educational incentives for bachelor/master degrees from accredited colleges or universities **Reimbursement of college tuition in job related fields if tuition is paid after employment.
What benefits are included?
- Hospitalization, including dental and Preferred Medical Doctor (PMD), are provided by the City of Montgomery at a nominal charge for both individual and family coverage
- Earn 10 holidays annually along with vacation and sick time. Vacation time accrual rate increases with longevity.
- Employee will be entitled to a service retirement after 25 years of creditable service or a partial service retirement at age 56 with at least 10 years of creditable service.
- Employee will be vested in the retirement system after 10 years of creditable service.
- CareHere medical clinic visits with no deductible or co-pay. Free Medications or Prescriptions provided at CareHere Clinics
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Life Insurance up to $50,000
- Paid Cancer Policy after 12 months of creditable service (Beginning January 1, 2020).