The Mayor's Young Professional Council (MYPC) engages in dialogue and initiatives with the Mayor, fellow young professionals, and the community to help make Montgomery a more equitable and desirable place to live, work, and earn for all.
An individual must meet the following criteria to be considered to serve on the council:
- Live in the City of Montgomery
- Be between ages 18 and 35
- Individuals who are interested in serving on the council must submit an application outlining their relevant experience and reasons for wanting to serve on the council.
- A selection committee composed of the Mayor’s staff and former MYPC members will use objective criteria to evaluate and select the applicants.
- The selection committee will ensure that MYPC reflects a diverse range of industries, organizations, demographics (race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, geographic location within the city), and experiences within the city.
- MYPC meetings will occur at least once a month;
- Members will serve two-year terms;
- Members who miss three consecutive meetings will forfeit their seat;
- There will be 15 – 22 people serving on MYPC per term;
- MYPC members will select a chair and vice-chair for each term who will be responsible for working directly with the Mayor and his staff to schedule MYPC meetings, communicate with the other members, and coordinate initiatives.
- There will be subcommittees that will collaborate outside of the full MYPC meetings to discuss and plan ideas and initiatives that they can share with the full MYPC for approval. Committees may include, but are not limited to: Appointments Committee, Policy Committee, Projects and Initiatives Committee.
Share ideas and concerns with the Mayor to inform him about issues in the city.
- Appointments Committee - Help identify young professionals that the Mayor can recommend to be appointed to city boards, commissions and positions.
- Policy Committee - Propose solutions to issues facing the city.
- Projects and Initiatives Committee - Lead initiatives that help advance the MYPC mission.